Monday, November 5, 2012

Starting to Get a Bit Complicated........


10/22/12--Monday--Day 9--Mammogram and Ultrasound
By now the bump seemed to have changed shapes.  It was the size of a small lime, but more elongated and had a small hook, almost like a J.  I leave the office to head for my appointment.  My co-worker, Carol, asks is everything ok?  She realized that was two doctors appointments in a week.  I reassure her that nothing is wrong.  Just checking a few things and I head out the door.  The mammogram was first.  It showed dense tissue so we needed the ultrasound.  The ultrasound guy had a tough time imaging it.  I could see by the concentration on his face, and his head shaking in between moving the wand thingy.  I finally asked what was going on.  He said he was just having trouble mapping it.  "Is it a cyst?" "No, but it's hard to tell what it is.  It's different than anything I've seen.  It's dense, but just sort of weird."  Hmmm.  Well, guess that was good.  If it was cancer, he would have seen that before.

10/25/12--Thursday--Day 12--Radiologist Report
As soon as we stepped off the plane in New York, I received this text message, "Susan, This is Dr. XYZ.  Please call me back when you can.  This # OK."  Wow, hmmm, that's kind of strange.  At the curb waiting for a cab I called back.  She told me she received the radiologist's report back and there is definitely something there that we need to check out a little better.  We needed to do a biopsy.  It's still probably nothing, but we need to be sure.  I told her I would prefer to do the biopsy in Phoenix at a place that specializes in this kind of stuff, just in case.  Figured we would set it up for next Thursday when I returned to Phoenix.

It's midnight and I can't really sleep.  I have no idea where to even start on finding a place to do a biopsy.  Wait, yes I do.  I have a good friend, Paula, who has been fighting a battle with cancer.  Wonder where she was going.  And today is her birthday, well in New York anyway.  I can text her Happy Birthday and see if I can screen out some information without her knowing why I'm asking.  After a bit, sure enough, she asks if I'm OK.  I avoid that question and change the subject.  No reason to let anyone know since this isn't really a big deal, but wow, Paula was great.  I learned a ton and know I want to go to the MD Anderson Cancer Center for the biopsy.

10/26/12--Friday--Day 13--Hurricane Sandy
The doctor's office calls to set up an appointment.  They said Mayo Clinic won't take my insurance, which I am glad now, so I tell them I want to go to the MD Anderson Cancer Center.  Before long, they called back and said they take my insurance and we can make arrangements on Monday, but they will send the CD images through the mail on Monday and we should be set for a Thursday appointment.

After texting with Paula, I decided to call her mom, Wanda, who has also had a bout with breast cancer.  Wanda knew me as a child and was my mom's best friend.  Since I couldn't call me mom, I knew she would be the next best thing and would talk to me, but not panic.  I told her I had a lump, and that it's probably nothing, but I didn't want my dad to know.  She reassured me I was going to the right place to get it checked out.  She told me who her doctors were, and that her other daughter, Charlene, worked there for many years and would be willing to help with anything she could.  And while I felt a little better finally telling someone, I heard in Wanda's tone that this could be bad.  Maybe I had told her it was bigger than it really was.  Maybe I had mis-conveyed information.  Was it really the size of a small lime--that's what seemed to make her gasp a little.  I felt my breast again--yea, it was about the size of a small lime, but longer now.  Was it changing?  Surely it couldn't be.  Why was she worried?  She didn't say she was worried.  It's probably all fine.  I'm making too much of this.

Of course by midnight, Hurricane Sandy has cancelled my conference in Atlantic City, and we were now flying home early Sunday.  Guess I'll call Monday and figure it all out.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Hurricane Sandy for sending Susan home early. She was able to get answers sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete