Monday, November 5, 2012

In The Beginning......

10/14/12--Sunday--Day 1--Discovery
So this story is going to sound crazy, but it really is true.

I am not someone who does breast self-exams.  Yes, I've heard all the warnings, all the reasons why I should, but I just never have.....until that day.  It was the weirdest thing ever.  I stepped out of the shower, sat down at my vanity, and the strangest feeling came over me.  Something inside told me to feel my right breast.  I took my left hand and wiped across the top part of my right breast, almost as if to brush away a piece of hair.  I don't know why I did it, but something inside just told me to, and when I did, something just seemed a bit strange.  I pressed my three fingers in a bit harder, and though I still didn't feel anything specific, the need to keep poking around was just very strong.  As I moved down a bit, there it was--every so faint, but there.  Or was it?  Ah, it probably wasn't anything...well, kind of...maybe...no.  I reached up to feel my left breast to compare.  Nothing irregular about that one.  Back to my right...yea, there it is.  It was just a small, soft, strange place.  It definitely wasn't a lump.  It wasn't hard.  It wasn't really anything, yet it was something.

I ask Greg to come in.  He walked up behind me and I asked him to see if he felt anything strange there.  "No, not really," he said as he started to move his hand away.  But then he put it back and said, "Well, maybe.  I don't know.  Sort of.  You should have it checked out, just in case."  It probably wasn't anything since I couldn't even really explain where it was or necessarily feel it again.  But, something inside told me, "What the heck.  Call and see if you can get in to see the doctor.

10/15/12--Monday--Day 2
I called the doctor's office.  I was sort of embarrassed because I wasn't positive, yet I was sure something just didn't feel right.  Thank goodness I have a former student in the office who has been an amazing resource at times like these.  Even though there were no appointments with the doctor I wanted to see, I think she felt the urgency too.  She fit me in for the next day.

10/16/12--Tuesday--Day 3--Doctor's Visit #1
I really wasn't too concerned when I went in.  In fact, I figured I was going to look like a worry wart.  But the doctor did feel something.  She said it was soft and small, so probably just a small cyst, but we should do a mammogram.  If that shows anything of concern, they may do an ultra sound too.

1 comment:

  1. Not a strange feeling but I think your mom whispered it to you. (-;

    ReplyDelete