Friday, November 30, 2012

And Here We Are...........

11/30/12--Friday--Day 48--T-Minus 0--The Day is Finally Here

The day is finally here. It's the morning of surgery. My mind the last 24 hours had been preoccupied with this cold I haven't seemed to shake. The furnace at my office has been broken for a month now, which means I start my working day at 50 degrees. My space heater starts gaining on the cold the minute I turn it on and by 11 it's achieved 70 degrees. First Carol got sick and this week I finally started feeling it. On Tuesday I had a sore throat so I called the nurse and she said if I didn't kick this, they will have to postpone the surgery--the last thing I want. I went home Tuesday and went to bed at 4 pm. My body finally said "You're done!" I didn't wake up at all until 6 am the next morning. Oh my goodness. I have never slept 14 hours in my life, but my sore throat was gone. I've still been stuffy and congested since then.

Last night when we got to town we stopped to complete a few handy man tasks at my aunt's new house. By the time we were at dinner, fear of my surgery being cancelled due to this cold set in. I just wanted to climb into bed.

We arrived at Preston's and I was tucked in by 9:30 pm. I slept most of the night with short interruptions of coughing and sniffling.

The alarm was set for six but my internal alarm went off at 5. I got up and stood in Preston's semi-hot shower for thirty minutes trying to clear my sinuses. Hopefully I can pull this off this morning and pass any nurse inspection of being sick. I DON'T want to postpone this day. It's been three weeks coming and my patience are gone.

I'm not nervous about the surgery. Maybe the cold has been God's way of giving me something else to worry about. My new Internet friend, Donna, has been super helpful. I've emailed her at least 10 stupid questions like, "What do I wear? Will I be able to wear a bra going home?" She has been such a good resource. She has related to every crazy, mixed up, scared, worried, frustrated feeling I've experienced. She's helped me know I'm not crazy, I'm not making too much out of this, and I'm not in this alone. Thank you Donna!

I have received a ton of support from many of my friends. Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers. I have been surrounded by love. I know God and my mom are guiding me though this and this surgery is going to go well. Keep your fingers crossed, your thoughts positive, and your prayers lifted up. I love you all. Thank goodness this day is finally here!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that I got to be part of your support team today! I've never seen anyone look more beautiful and alert after coming out of surgery! You are amazing and a fighter and the bad stuff is gone and it's time to look forward and say "I'm a survivor" <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jan. Having you there meant a ton. You are super sweet and I'm blessed to count you as a friend! Sunshine & Smiles . . . Susan

    ReplyDelete