Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Controlling My Lack of Control......

11/14/12--Wednesday--Day 32--T-16--Focus on What You Can Change
Day 2 of normalcy back at work was packed with tons of progress.  I met with my team most of the morning and we mapped out all of the projects for the next few months and set a clear roadmap which they can follow with or without me.  Hopefully I will be able to continue to work remotely come January which will help relieve some of the burden from the team.  Staying busy at work has already proven to be extremely distracting and helped me not worry about what we all know I can't control.

At this point I am trying to focus on what I can control and what can help me physically.  One issue I've started to look more closely at is what I eat.  I have a lot of guilt about getting cancer.  I know that sounds silly, and most people would think that is a stupid feeling, but it is something with which I struggle.  I am very overweight.  It's hard not to wonder if I wasn't overweight, would I have cancer?  There is no evidence that more overweight people get cancer, but your mind plays tricks on you when you try to figure out why something happened to you.  I have asked each doctor if getting breast cancer is tied to me being overweight, and each has assured me it's not, but I stil feel guilty.  I have never eaten very many fruits or vegetables.  Most people who know me know I have always been an extremely picky eater.  I'm a texture eater, or what is called a supertaster, which means I have more taste buds than the average person.  Not only does that make me more sensitive to the way food feels in my mouth, I also taste more bitterness and my tastes last longer.  The result is I eat less vegetables or fruits.  Of course I have known this for a long time, but never could figure out how to "learn to like" eating things that made me gag.

So a few weeks ago, way before the cancer diagnosis, my boss, Dr. T, his secretary, Gail, and I were having a random conversation about eating more healthy.  They both had purchased these new blenders which helped them incorporate "hidden" vegetables into their diet.  The thought intrigued me as they each talked about smoothies that included vegetables but tasted like fruit.  I decided to keep my eye out for one, especially since I eat very few vegetables or fruits.

This past Monday while in Phoenix, the Vitamix blender was being demonstrated at Costco.  It was super expensive, but wow, what it could do.  I stood there and watch the guy make chocolate ice cream that contained spinach and a tomato and was made in under 5 minutes.  It tasted great.  Then I watched as he made soup.  Tons of vegetables, water, a little taco seasoning, some tortilla chips, and dinner was made.  He proceeded to make smoothies that tasted amazing yet included spinach, celery, carrots, and all kinds of vegetables as well as fruit.  I tasted all five of his concoctions and liked every one.  I probably ate more vegetables and fruits in his demo than I had eaten the whole week.  Needless to say, I bought the blender.

I am excited to start disguising my vegetables into easy-to-drink smoothies.  And whether or not being overweight or not eating vegetables and fruits is or is not tied to me getting breast cancer, it is at least a change in my life that I can control, and hopefully it will make me feel a little healthier, even when my body is failing me.

7 comments:

  1. You are going to have to bring us a tase of your smoothie creation! It's good to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I have heard that tomatoes are excellent to eat for those who have cancer. I cannot remember what is in them that is so good, but I have had friends in the past go through what you are going through, and I just remember them telling me that tomatoes were the one thing their doctors told them to start eating and eating a lot of while going through cancer and to continue eating once in remission. Maybe, if you don't like tomatoes raw (I don't) you can find a way to hide them into a fruity smoothie with that new blender of yours. And if your tummy can't handle all the acid that is in tomatoes, ROMA tomatoes don't have the acid that other tomatoes have. I hope you can take this information and use it.
    So glad to hear you are back to work. Busy is good! :0)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH... and in regards to your last sentence.. your body isn't failing you... your body was invaded and it is your body and mind that will get you through getting that cancer out of you. Trust that your body is fighting the fight and it started fighting for you long before you knew the lump was there. And know, that there isn't anything different in life you could have done that would have prevented this. It is not your fault Susan. Keep your chin up, stay positive and trust in yourself, your doctors and above all, the good Lord. ((((((HUGS))))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find some fruits and veggies you enjoy. Eating should be a pleasurable and nourishing experience... I'm looking forward to hearing more about the blended foods you'll be creating! ��

      Delete
  4. Susan, people might find this strange, but I have always tried to march at the beat of my own drum. Here it goes . . .

    Since October of 2011 I have been juicing my breakfast with a Breville Juice Extractor that I bought on Amazon for 189.00 marked down from 399.00. If you have an .edu email you could get the Amazon Prime Account for free and get the item with no shipping, possibly no sales tax (something about Indiana).

    I use the extractor every morning. My favorite recipe is 1 red beet (helps clear out the liver to remove toxins), 2 apples (for sweetness), 6 carrots (vitamin A converts to something that helps immune system), and ginger (antioxidant recommended by LiveStrong). I do this to fight off things like cancer, weight management, and frankly, I do not want to grow old gracefully.

    It has been the best decision I have made. As mention in a comment in an earlier post I have also started incorporating Ginger Tea.

    There is a strong possibility I will be in Arizona starting December 17 to January 4. I will be traveling with my juicer (slight possibility I am crazy). I know I will be going to Clifton and Safford please keep me updated on status.

    If you need a recommendation about vegetables and fighting illnesses, such as cancer, watch a Beautiful Truth. The movie is available on Netflix.

    By the way, controlling what you can control is being in control of the things you can't control. Stay involved with work. Stay involved with the community. Most importantly, keep writing.

    You are in thoughts my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should you decide to try the juicing and need links let me know via message on FB. Considering you are working on recovery, reduce red meats and try to focus on organics. Personally, I feel the chemicals that go in our food system is what causes the cancer.

      Delete
    2. Paul, Thank you. I have never purchased a red beet but I know my mom used to like beets. I am going to try your recipe. Please send anything you think might help. I'm open to all suggestions. Hopefully we can meet up when you are in Safford in December. Sunshine & Smiles . . . Susan

      Delete