Monday, December 3, 2012

Focusing on Recovery.......

12/2/12--Sunday--Day 50--The Recovery--Much Better Than Expected

Today was the second recovery day and all has gone well.  Friday I took one pain pill leaving the hospital, another before going to bed, and a final one sometime in the middle of the night, mostly because I couldn't settle down to sleep.  Since then, keeping an ice bag over the area is all I have needed.

Today I was convinced I could go to work tomorrow, but as the day wore on, I've had some deeper tissue pain.  Much of the pain has been under my arm where the lymphoids were removed.  I still have blue spots where the dye they used to find the node is still coming to the surface and, as they warned me, my urine is still blue.  It really is way too smurf-like.

Our friend Mike decided to stay a couple of extra days and help with a number of things. I have truly appreciated the extra company and all that he has done.  Even completing some projects with Greg to keep him busy has been a great help.  Thanks, Suzie, for loaning him to us for a few days.  Preston and Yuri also came for the weekend.  They helped with Christmas lights and decorating, which took pressure off of me.  Having a house full of people has helped keep my mind on other things, which has been really nice.

I tried to help some with decorating today but I was definitely limited.  I also decided to try to go to the store just to test the idea of maybe going to work tomorrow.  Mike was nice enough to drive and help me test my theory, which ended up being a good test because I became uncomfortable within about an hour of movement.  Though I feel exceptionally good considering surgery was barely two days ago, I have decided to stay home from work at least tomorrow. We'll see after that.

Clothing has definitely been a challenge.  I don't have many loose-fitting tops.  Both days I decided to wear a snug cami under a sweater.  The snugness helped keep things from moving too much but wasn't as confining as a bra might be. While we were at the store I bought a large sports bra and may try that tomorrow.  I definitely look super lopsided.  I am more conscientious of that than I expected to be. Finding tops that I will feel comfortable going out in public in will be a challenge.

I am so glad to have the cancer out so despite the disfiguring look of my breast right now, I keep trying to focus on that. I already have lots of questions for the doctor on our follow-up appointment this Thursday. We are all praying for good, clear margins on the mass that was taken and a positive pathology report. I'm trying to focus on recovery rather than counting down to Thursday and honestly, I haven't even thought of the radiation path I still have in front of me.  For now, I'm just focusing on recovery.



No comments:

Post a Comment