Monday, May 13, 2013

Finally, A Much Needed Break......

5/13/13--Monday--Day 212--Turning A Corner

FINALLY! I feel like I finally turned a corner this weekend on what has been one of the most difficult weeks since the surgeries. I'm sure part of the difficulty of the week has been being so scared as I experienced all of this unknown. And even though the side effects were challenging, hopefully knowing how to plan for the next three treatments will help me have less anxiety.

By Thursday morning my head had cleared up enough that I felt comfortable driving myself to work. I still worked through lunch since my appetite or taste had not improved at all. My dad had come earlier in the week so it was a nice relief to have him and Preston here. By the end of the day Thursday, I was super tired. I had put a roast on so I didn't have to worry about dinner, but when I got home, I had bigger worries. Greg was super sick. Thursday was the one week mark and the day Dr. C said my numbers would start to plummet and I would be at great risk as my immunity system would be compromised ....and Greg was upstairs puking. Oh my goodness our timing couldn't have been worse. I immediately put on a mask and must have washed my hands a hundred times in between trying to take care of him. The good news was he didn't seem to have a fever, but he looked bad as he was stuck on the toilet with diarrhea and leaning over a bucket.  Luckily, by the end of the night, he still had no fever, no chills, no aches and, with the help of Pepto Bismo, he finished puking and felt much better.  We determined it might have been food poisoning from KFC's gross boneless chicken we had tried the night before. Preston had felt poorly earlier in the day as had I, though I am hard to throw in the mix.  Anyways, as a precaution, I slept downstairs, and the next morning we sterilized everything upstairs, but Greg was definitely better, thank goodness.

Friday, with the start of week two, I woke up dragging.  If my blood counts had dropped, as predicted, I was definitely feeling the fatigue Dr. C had described I would.  It was a push to go to work, and once I got there, a push to be productive, but I was.  I finished my scheduled meetings and was working through lunch as normal when a knock on my door brought a huge, and much needed surprise.  Mike and Suzie had come from Albuquerque to surprise me and that they did.  I couldn't believe they were here and instantly broke in to tears.  It had been such a horrible week, both physically and mentally, and I was facing my first Mother's Day without my mom and my grandma, and with Brooklyn being away.  After drying tears, I left work early.  We went to get a snow cone on the way home, which I laughed at because my taste was so bad, but suddenly, I could taste a little of the flavoring.  I thought I had tasted a little of the grape jelly earlier that morning, but I definitely had a break though on some flavoring of the snow cone.  My afternoon was getting even better.

I spent a much better-than-expected Mother's Day weekend surrounded by family (Greg, Preston and my dad) and close friends.  It truly helped keep my mind off of my physical state and helped me face what could have been one of the most difficult days since my mother's death.  Greg wanted to try a lake trip Saturday, but after doing a short bit of running around Friday afternoon, it was clear the fatigue I was experiencing was not going to let me do much activity so we opted for a relaxing weekend at home instead.  Saturday, the fatigue continued so I rested in between a few short trips out, but much of the day was spent just hanging out, watching movies and playing games.  As the weekend progressed, my tastebuds seemed to improve some.  Friday night I actually experienced my first hunger pain,  and my mouth actually burned a little from salsa, which were both welcome feelings.  The biggest taste all weekend (which ended up being a craving) came from strawberries and fluff, which was a cream cheese and marshmallow dipping recipe.   The funny thing is, I don't usually even really like strawberries, but whatever it was, I could taste strawberries and fluff better than anything.  Sunday was the first day I woke up feeling good.  I didn't have to sit down in between doing every little things, and I never hit that wall of fatigue, which I had hit both Friday and Saturday at some point.

So thanks to Preston and my dad being there, Brooklyn for spending time on the phone with me, and thanks to our amazing friends, Mike & Suzie, the end of my very difficult week finally came and I experienced some much-needed relief both physically and mentally. I am feeling good this morning. I still have to remind myself to drink because I have no thrust and my taste is still extremely limited, but I can so do this!  I now know I can survive the next three treatments over the next ten weeks.  I am so much more encouraged now and am so grateful about finally Turning a Corner!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah!! I'm so glad you caught a break on the side effects. Yes, remember to hydrate, fill a one gallon container with water each night and make yourself drink it during the next day. Stay positive, stay strong and Fight Like a Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just now found time to read the last three postings on your blog. I thought of you on Mother's Day. I thought of everyone who has lost their Mom and can't be with their Mom. Karen and I went to the cemetery.
    We are continuing to work on the estate which is consuming every weekend.
    When I was reading the last entry I thought, "go strawberries"! It sounds like you are breaking things down into chunks and know you can get through the second round.
    So glad to see Preston home and sorry to see the little red car on the road for sale. My goodness, where do the years go? It seems like yesterday Preston was hiking in the field.
    I know this year can kiss your a**. Ooops, can I say that on here? I love you, Susan. You are in my prayers and I just want this to be over with for you and Greg.
    Sweet dreams and a peaceful week.

    ReplyDelete